Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why Does It Cost More to Eat Healthy?


Once again, with the changing of the seasons, I am remembering the big vegetable garden of my childhood.  What I wouldn’t give today to have that same opportunity for fresh vegetables.  I do try to eat locally and mostly support a more holistic approach to my shopping and cooking.  It is unfortunately true, though, that it costs more to eat healthy.

I have been so excited to see the recent opening of more health conscious food markets in our area.  I hope it makes everyone up their game in providing alternative choices to highly processed foods so full of additives that should never have been intended to reach our bellies. I love walking into the produce section and seeing rows of fresh, colorful fruits and vegetables.  It is a great comfort to shop with the assurance of quality, in spite of the impact on my pocketbook.

I notice that as the dollars in my pocket become fewer, my choices at the grocery store lean more towards carbohydrates.  I wonder if it is more a result of the economics of the situation or a response to the stress of a financial crunch.  For me, pasta and potatoes are not only inexpensive, but very comforting as well.  For less than $15, I can make my French Oven full of one of my family’s favorites giving us enough for a hearty meal and lunches the next day.  We call it “Italian Potato Soup”.

I start this soup the same way I do most, with a sauté of chopped onions, garlic, salt, black pepper and a modest amount of red pepper flakes.  As the onions soften, I add about a pound of mild or sweet Italian sausage.  I like to get the kind that is made in-store, but you can also use the links, just remove the casings from around the meat.  The sausage has a lot of seasoning in it, so this does a lot to flavor the soup.

While the sausage is browning I get the potatoes ready.  Using a combination of Idaho potatoes and either Red or Yukon Golds gives this soup a great texture.  I peel the Idahos and leave the skin on the others.  The Red potatoes and Yukon Golds are both a waxy potato and will tend to hold their shape during the cooking process while the Idahos will break down and help the soup to a nice rich, thick texture.  I cut the potatoes into 1 to 2 inch pieces.

The sausage is so fragrant, that it will be no secret what’s for dinner tonight!  When the meat is nice and brown, I deglaze the pan with white wine, chicken broth or plain water.  Remember those crusty brown bits in the bottom of the pot are little power pockets full of flavor.

With the deglazing complete, I add the processed potatoes to the pot with enough liquid to barely cover them.  After bringing the soup to a boil, I turn it down to a fast simmer and let it go until the potatoes are almost soft.  While the potatoes are cooking, I remove the stems from a bunch of kale and slice it into about ½ inch strips.  I add the kale to the pot and by the time the potatoes are finished cooking the kale will be nicely wilted and tender.  To finish the soup, I add some cream.  You can substitute half and half or milk.  I grate in some fresh nutmeg and check the seasoning to make sure there is enough salt and pepper.  Bring it back up to heat and you have meal pleasing both to the palate and the pocketbook.  With the addition of the kale, there is an extra boost of iron as well.  This is one of my step-daughter’s favorites and I love making it for her.

Why does it cost so much more to eat healthy?  It is difficult for me to understand how a product with less additives and less processing costs more than a more natural product.  I think I know at least part of the answer.  It is because the processing and additives add to the shelf life of the end product and at the agricultural level the chemical additives create a higher yield product. 

What about economically challenged families living in the inner city?  What is their access to healthy food?    It is less expensive to go to the corner fast food restaurant or convenience store than to the local grocery store.  I mean, if I’m in this situation and I have 3 kids and $10 in my pocket with no transportation, what are my choices?  The fast food place is down the block and I can easily feed myself and the kids for $10.  The grocery store is a few miles away so how do I get there?  What can I buy for the four of us with $10?  And then, I have to make my way home with the groceries in tow before I even begin cooking.  Yes, I would probably choose fast food, too. 

I am on a quest to learn more about this subject, so expect to hear more.  I welcome your comments.

6 comments:

  1. I make a similar potato soup for my family as well and I'm so glad someone else likes the Italian flavor!

    I am often just as frustrated by the high prices of healthier foods. Even if you eliminate the organic foods, buying fresh produce and lean meats is more expensive than the processed stuff, canned veggies etc...

    I understand the bind that it puts folks in, as we struggle with the same battle. As a single income household, I work really hard to make every penny count and I must admit to going with the cheaper options sometime.

    Ah well, I have to say I am enjoying your blog. I like the recipe and your insights.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Pam. So true, and what is the answer??? No clue. I love Nina Planck's "Real Food." In it she talks about the high price of quality food and whether we "pay now or pay later." I'm blessed to be able to "pay now" but if I weren't, and as a single mother of 4 I'd be at the cheap store :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph...I don't know what the answer is, but I'm going to try and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question! With a hungry husband and six hungry kids, I was forced to find a way to prepare healthy meals at a super cheap price. By making a few changes, our food budget went from over $800 a month to under $200. Nope, not kidding.

    First, I started cooking from scratch. All the way down to the basics. I don't buy ANY bread products from the store. We make our own bread, cookies, tortillas, donuts, everything. This saves a LOT of cash.

    Second, I started gardening. I grow my own organic veggies in my backyard for pennies. It does require some time each day (usually less than 30 minutes) and saves big bucks in the long-run. Plus, since I know the source & use heirloom seeds, I know my family isn't getting anything genetically modified/coated in wax/shipped in from far away/etc. Not to mention, it tastes amazing!

    Third, I started building up my pantry. By buying a little at a time of whatever happened to be on super sale at the store, I slowly (over the course of a year) built up my food storage. Thanks to this, I NEVER EVER pay full price for anything at the grocery store. Since I already have just about everything at home, I have the luxury of waiting until items go on sale. When they do, I buy multiple.

    Fourth, I started buying in bulk. This seems expensive when you first start because you have to buy containers large enough to hold your food AND you're buying more food all at once so cash up front is an issue. I started with flour. I got 2 food-grade buckets for FREE from Wal-Mart's bakery (they just throw them out!) & cleaned them up. Then I bought 2 - 25 pound bags of flour for $11 each and put them in the buckets. I keep a smaller container for flour in the kitchen that I refill from the buckets as necessary. Buying in bulk saves me big bucks over the course of a year. Things I buy in bulk are beans, rice, flour, pasta, sugar, salt, spices....basically all dry goods.

    Fourth, I learned to preserve food by canning and dehydrating. Now when I find fresh produce on a great sale, I buy as much as I can afford and either can it or dehydrate it. Also handy for extra garden produce. Preserving food without refrigeration is super important here in Louisiana since we can go a week or two at a time without power in the summer, due to hurricanes.

    Fifth, I started buying meat ONLY when it was on sale. I plan my menus around whatever meat happened to be on sale that week. When I find a really great price (like 25 cents a pound for chicken) I buy as much as I can afford and either freeze or can it. I also find great package bulk deals at the local butcher.

    Sixth, we eat "in season." This means that during the winter, I don't buy vegetables if they aren't growing in my back yard. By springtime, I'm desperate for lettuce. LOL But the garden veggies I canned during the summer still carry the super fresh taste of summer in them, so that gets us through winter happily. And let me tell ya, home-canned tastes soooo much better than industrial canned!

    Finally, I coupon. There are some great websites and blogs dedicated to couponing where they share the weekly deals at each store. I utilize these to save time and get some great deals in the process. Thanks to couponing, I don't have to pay more than 50 cents for a box of cereal.

    Sorry for the novella. But I firmly believe that even implementing ONE of these things can make a big difference for someone out there. Hope it helps!

    As for the cost of food.....it makes absolutely no sense at all for processed foods to cost more than locally grown, fresh. Local means no transportation cost. Fresh means no preservatives/additives. It's just common sense that these should cost less. And yet...
    Love and miss y'all! Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing Becky! I thought this might catch your attention :) Thanks for responding

      Delete